Thursday 28 July 2011

July notes

It appears I am still not learning how to be patient with my garden.  I have sown to much and now having a bit of a time taming sections, fixing broken supports, giving away gluts of lettuce to neighbours to make way for the next batch and eating bolted veg!  On the plus side the front garden is really starting to come together and needed taming following the hot weather we've been relishing. So my house is full of flowers all from my garden. Swoon.

SO next year, I promise to-
  • Grow more veg in the front garden with the flowers.  Chard, spinach, rocket & radishes grow pretty much anywhere so they'll be fine there and also have pretty flowers when they bolt.
  • Give up on carrots, my soil is too heavy and they are taking up valuable space needed for more expensive veggies.
  • Build bigger and stronger supports for the peas and climbing beans - do not underestimate the size they can grow too!
  • I'm also going to introduce mint to the ugly patches to cover them!
  • Start a small raised bed near the house for lettuce and sow less of it! My problem is that I can't bring myself to throw out thinned seedlings and end up growing them all. Daft.  This raised bed can also be the new home for the twisted hazel tree which is growing fast and will make an attractive feature in the winter months.
  • Grow more crops for autumn and winter months.  The sprouts and broccoli plants are doing well, although less than half of what I planted.  I'm going to try and sow some cabbage & onions to join the salsify, celariac and brassicas for winter.  I've also got seeds for pak choi, mibuna & celtuce from Simply Seeds.  Not sure about the celtice - a new one on me.  Actually, I think I'll try and grow all of these winter crops!
Besides all that we have grand plans taking shape for landscaping the garden which I'm really excited about!

1 comment:

  1. chilternseedsdirect
    Growing wild represents a return to nature's untamed beauty. It's about embracing the inherent freedom and diversity of wild plants, allowing them to flourish in their natural state. This approach fosters biodiversity, sustainability, and a harmonious coexistence with the environment. Growing wild celebrates the beauty of unbridled, natural growth in gardens and landscapes.

    ReplyDelete