Thursday 21 April 2011

Veg Patch Plans & Daydreams

I've actually had my veg patch planned and started for a few weeks but never got around to putting it up here until now.  It's not massive, but it fed us well last summer despite the fact that I had no idea what I was doing and paid no heed to the law of rotating crops or any such wisdom but decided to stick everything in the ground and see what happened! Add to that Daddy Native also following this approach and sticking in corn willy-nilly and it was bit of a site! However it did kinda work.

So this year I have dug over the patches multiple times, added fertiliser and a my first home made compost pile and gave it a good mix to try and amend for the sins I committed last year.  I haven't been grown up enough to actually measure the patches and draw a 'to scale' plan as yet, but below gives you a fair idea of my hopes and dreams..... 
Can you tell I went to art college?
It wasn't to study illustration as you can tell perhaps!
So far most of it is planted.  The rectangular patch is actually a mini poly-tunnel at present starting off the beans and peas and some salad leaves as an experiment to see how this lazy approach works out.  The cold frame out the front has all the spinach, more herbs for the herb garden out front, carrots to grow in pots, and the patisons.  Our bedroom window sill now has more (better established) carrot seedlings, cherry tomato baby plants grown from seed, tomato seedlings, pepper seedlings, and more herb seedlings. 

So at this moment in time the veg patch still looks bare, although I know what lurks and is hopefully sprouting beneath! Things are so much slower to get started in Scotland!  I am comforted by remembering that after the Easter hols I will be able to plant some of my babies into their summer homes in the veggie patches to be lavished with care and attention.... oh and to see if they can survive Baby Wild's toy gardening tools......

No comments:

Post a Comment