Monday 18 April 2011

Growing Wild in April

Jack-by-the-hedge - grows along fences and roadsides here, has a faint garlic taste.Best of all in a sauce for lamb mixed with a little mint, hawthorn buds & vinegar and sugar.
Morel - only appear for afew days, so freeze them when you find some!  Great in stews & soups, and can stuffed.  Have yet to come across any here in Scotland myself.
Nettle - Use the young leaves as spinach, blanching them in hots water removes the stings and they are hugely beneficial - they have high levels of Vitamin A & C, 2.3% bt weight of iron & 5.5% of protein!
Hairy Bittercress - this stuff grows all over my garden so I am delighted to throw them into salads to try contol thier spread!
Bistort - a traditional bitter leaf eaten after Lentan Fasting. Don't fancy it myself! But there are plenty of traditional easter recipes out there.
Dandelion flowers - mmmmm flower fritters. Now that most of the dandelions are in flower, their leaves can be slightly more bitter, but still edible so don't stop using them as a free & nutricious sandwich & salad filler. Great in bacon butties!
Hawthorn Leaves - a pleasant nutty taste, good in salads or with cold potatoes & beetroot. Goes best in cheese sandwiches. Also has many traditional easter pudding recipes.
Goosegrass - another way to eat my garden free of weeds! I've already got a pile of this sticky plant in a corner of my garedn under my eucalyptus tree.  More fun to play with than eat as it needs boiling or steaming briefly to disolve the clingy hooks.
Wild Garlic / Ramsons - you don't need me to go on any more about this wonderful veggie. Am obsessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment